Love triangles abound, manners are thrown aside.
Smock Alley presents as its eighth in-house production, Richard Brinsley Sheridan’s much loved Comedy of Manners, The Rivals.
The wealthy Lydia Languish, brought up on romance novels, is searching for a suitor and only a poor man will do, so it is no wonder she falls for the penniless Beverley. However her formidable aunt Mrs. Malaprop, through a series of hilarious blunders, raises serious objections to Lydia’s choice.
The whirlwind plot and wondrous wit of Sheridan’s play has delighted audiences for over 240 years. This historical play was first performed at The Theatre Royal at Smock Alley in the late 1700’s.
Directed by: Liam Halligan
Historical tours of Smock Alley Theatre one hour before every show included in ticket price!Discounts available for groups of 8+. Call us on 01-6770014 for more information.
On selected evenings you can enjoy a specially designed seasonal pre-show dinner with a glass of wine in our Banquet Hall AND see The Rivals for only €30!
Sitting @ 6pm | Tickets: €30
Dinner + Show available on the following dates:
Wed 2 | Thur 3 | Fri 4Wed 9 | Thur 10 | Fri 11 | Sat 12Wed 16 | Thur 17 | Fri 18 | Sat 19Wed 23 | Thur 24 | Fri 25 |Wed 30 | Thur 31 | Fri 1 | Sat 2
Have the perfect afternoon out with a scrumptious wholesome brunch in our Banquet Hall followed by a matinee performance of The Rivals, all for only €25!
Brunch @ 1pm | Tickets: €25
Brunch + Show available on the following dates:
Sun 6 | Sun 13 | Sun 20 | Sun 27
Smock Alley was the first Theatre Royal built in Dublin. John Ogilby opened it in 1662 as part of the Restoration of the British monarchy and King Charles II in 1660, along with the London’s Drury Lane (1662) and the Lincoln’s Inn Fields (1661). It was the first custom-built theatre in the city and still remains in substantially the same form, making it one of the most important sites in European theatre history. Smock Alley Temple Bar Theatre was the first theatre outside London to receive the title of Theatre Royal, but because it had been built on land reclaimed from the Liffey, the building was unstable and the gallery collapsed twice; it was rebuilt in 1735.