Open House Dublin (OHD) is Ireland’s largest architecture festival, inviting everyone to explore Dublin city. It works through a simple but powerful idea: showcasing outstanding architecture for everyone to experience. Buildings that aren’t usually accessible to the public and buildings of architectural merit open their doors for one weekend, with architectural tours provided by expert guides.
It’s a busy weekend, with plenty of things to see and do, so to make sure you get the most out of the festival, here are some top tips for your Open House Dublin (OHD) weekend!
1. Study the programme – full details are available on our Open House Dublin website, but if you’re out and about, why not grab a copy of the September Totally Dublin to get the OHD pull-out programme. Alternatively, pick up an OHD map at the Open House Dublin Info Hub in the IAF HQ at 15 Bachelors Walk, Dublin 1 from Monday, 7 October through Sunday, 13 October, 12pm-4pm. Our Open House Dublin volunteers are also on hand to assist with any general queries. Maps will also be available at your local public library in the run up to OHD weekend at key locations across the city.
2. Keep up-to-date – News, updates, tour info and details will be constantly posted on our Facebook page, Twitter feed and IAF website. Make sure to check in every now and then to avoid missing out.
3. Get out early! Think you’re the only person who wants to see inside that building? Well, there are hundreds like you, so to avoid disappointment hit your highlight buildings early and join the queue as soon as you can…
4. What about the kids? Check out our Open House Junior events designed especially for them. Younger participants can enjoy creative workshops in Dlr LExIcon, family tours in the National Gallery, explore architecture and Art at IMMA and take part in My Type of City! at the National Print Museum. Or take to the streets and parks of the city with our self-guided Architreks and Parkitreks…
5. Fancy something a bit different? Why not take a look at our Open House Plus programme, which includes boat, walking and cycling tours, exhibitions and performances that expand the Open House Dublin experience beyond the buildings.
7. We’re here to help – all OHD volunteers and tour guides are graciously giving up their time in order to make the festival weekend a fantastic success, so please be patient and expect queues.
8. Help us, help you – please fill out our post-event survey, which will be made available through our IAF website shortly. We want to continue to deliver the best possible Open House Dublin every year. Give us your feedback and we’ll do just that.
9. Enjoy the Open House Dublin experience all year round – Become friend of the IAF and enjoy exclusive access to buildings and tours across Dublin throughout the year. Head to the IAF website to find out more!