The Phoenix Park is over 700 hectares (1752 acres) in area and is the largest enclosed public Park in any capital city in Europe. It was originally formed as a royal hunting Park in the 1660’s and opened to the public in 1747.
A large herd of fallow deer still remain to this day. The Park is also home to the Zoological Gardens and Aras an Uachtarain and Victorian flower gardens. The Phoenix Park is only 1.5 miles from O’Connell Street. Both passive and active recreational pursuits may be viewed or pursued such as walking, running, polo, cricket, hurling, etc. The Glen Pond is set in very scenic surrounds in the Furry Glen. There are many walks and cycle routes available to the public.